Monday, April 25, 2011

SAKURACON

So, sorry about not posting this yesterday, but between Easter dinner shenanigans with the cuz and general exhaustion it just wasn't happening.

Anyway! I dunno if people actually want to read about every single thing my group did. My brain is so full of stuff that I'd probably forget stuff anyways. I'm probably just gonna post stories as I remember them.

But, if people do want to know what we did all weekend...Basically we just hung around the convention center people watching, taking pictures, checking out the Artist Alley and Exhibition Hall and going to some panels.

One of the panels we really wanted to go to was "Are you smarter than a Nation?". Because we were all dressed as Hetalia characters we figured it'd be cool. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the room it was going to be in, it was full. So we missed it :(

The one panel that I absolutely had to go to was the "Explaining Evangelion". I definitely told MN at least 10 times that if I missed it I would cry. We made it to the panel with 2 minutes to spare and even though it was full, MN and I convinced the guy guarding the door to let us in and stand in the back. CN and PM were nice enough to wait for us outside. It was such an amazing panel. Even though the guys who were talking were super quiet and I could barely hear them, there was a slideshow that I could read. I can't remember all of what was said, but Eva makes so much more sense now. Also, it really sucks cause the panel started out with explaining that the reason American audiences are so confused by Eva is cause Anno (the creator) didn't think it would be very popular so he didn't bother having all the commentaries and explanations that were available in Japan into English. AHHHHH.

The reason we cut it so close getting to the Eva panel was because we basically ran there after getting stuff signed by Tiffany Grant aka the voice of Asuka in Eva. It was amazing meeting her and having her sign my Evangelion Box Set. She even quoted Asuka in her little note to me. Meeting Tiffany Grant made up for how disappointing the lack of Eva merchandise was.

Now then, some funny stories...

Basically, anything that happened at MN's apartment or involved CN was hilarious. Some of these included taking pictures of CN and PM while they were sleeping, teasing MN about how she NEVER cooks, fighting over Beatles cups, watching Eva movies and telling CN to be quiet so PM could actually understand what was going on and locking PM in MN's room/the bathroom so the rest of us could plan his birthday stuff the name a few.

Lots of funny things happened at the Con, including some "horror" stories. So the horror story was on Sunday aka Easter. Some guy came up behind CN and stuffed an easter egg down her jacket then ran off. She was really freaked out and the rest of us couldn't stop laughing at how ridiculous it was. We tried to tell CN not to open the egg, but she did anyway. There was candy. No, none of ate the candy. That would have been really stupid.

Another funny story: the time Germany broke Prussia. MN saw a really good Prussia cosplayer and wanted to get a picture with her. Well, Prussia thought it would be funny if she picked up MN for the picture. She failed miserably. They both went crashing to the ground and Prussia's pants split in the back. I feel bad but it was really funny.

There were a couple people who CN was trying to avoid at the Con. They told her they were going to be dressed as a slutty maid and school girl. CN told the rest of us, "What's the plan? If you see a slutty maid or school girl, RUN."

Something that happened to both CN and I was that almost every time we passed a booth with funny things to be put on your head, MN made us wear something then took our picture.

Oh, and according to CN, people like me because my hair smells nice...

Ok, last story (cause this post is getting really long). We went out to a nice Italian place for dinner Saturday, in honor of PM birthday. We went in our costumes. Which was perfectly fine for CN and I cause we just took off our jackets and looked like a couple of business men or something. But MN couldn't really decide whether it would be better to leave her jacket on (keep in mind it was a German military jacket and she had already been called a Nazi once) or take it off and be stuck wearing a wifebeater in a nice restaurant. PM wasn't much better off as he wanted to take off his white jacket but was wearing an awkward combination of t-shirt and undershirt underneath. We basically resigned ourselves to funny looks and questions from the people working there regarding why we were dressed the way we were.

Ok, ok this time I really do mean last story. Regarding MN getting called a Nazi. The four of us were at an ATM getting some money and the guy who was in front of us saw MN's jacket and asked what a Nazi was doing with the rest of us. It was pretty stupid but he obviously thought he was being funny. This would have been fine except for the fact that the guy somehow tracked MN down when we were at the Con and started calling her a Nazi again. Then it was really weird.

So basically, I had a really fantastic time at SakuraCon and I have lots of fond and funny memories of the weekend. I might post more stories as I remember them.

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had been there. This makes me really jealous.

    ReplyDelete