So, this is what I have been up to the last week since I arrived at college. Well, the main things.
Saturday:
My parents and I drove over to Purdue from the hotel we were staying in. My check-in time was 8-9 am so it was pretty early especially sicne we crossed the time zone the previous night so it fel super early. Upon arriving we were directed to the designated lot. I checked in and got a bunch of stuff that I didn't even try to sort through. Then I went up to my room to do a check for damages. And then I went to pick up the packages I had sent over. When I brought them up to my room my roomate had gotten there as well and was unpacking. She's pretty cool. Her dad and my mom hit it off because they're both into photography.
BGR (Boiler Gold Rush) didn't start until Sunday so the rest of this day was spent unpacking, organizing and hanging out with my parents.
Sunday:
Boiler Bash: Basically a giant dance party in the Armory. It was actually pretty fun even though it started pouring rain just before we had to leave to walk over. The funny thing is that even when we got inside, we still got wet since a ton of people (mostly boys) were taking water bottles with caps removed and spraying everyone with water. ANd I was reminded of HYCs when the BGR song came on and there was a dance for it (HYC ex. It's The End of The World). A few girls from my floor (including my roomate) and I left early and went back to our dorm. One of the girls has a foot GPS on her phone and we used it to find our way back to the dorm.
Elliott Hall: After the Boiler Bash everyone went to Elliott Hall for the Opening ceremonies. It was awesome! Elliott Hall is really cool and there was dance music playing and colored strobe lights. The leaders put on some skits and went over the plan for the week. Then we were dismissed to head back to our dorms to go to sleep.
Monday:
Pep Rally: All the freshmen went to Slayter hill and got introdueced to the main spirit/sport teams at Purdue (cheerleaders, Gold dusters, dance team, football, soccer, volleyball, basketball teams). We also learned a bunch of Purdue fight songs and cheers. It was pretty fun.
Elliott: We had more stuff in Elliott. More skits that were hilarious.
Study Abroad: We had time today to go to different presentation and I went to the one for studying abroad. I really hope I'm able to go to Scotland someday.
UnionFest: Union Fest was a lot of fun but kind of dissapointing. You could get personalized street signs, wax models of your hand and carciture drawings but I waited in line so long for one thing that the others ran out and I didn't even get what I waited in line for since right as I was almost to the front of the line I had to leave to get to the Mentalist show. This was the best part of the night by far though. He started out doing cool but not super impressive stuff. He called people up and gave them random cards and then figured out exactlyu which card they had by asking questions, saying numbers and then reading their body language and watching their pupils dilate. This was pretty cool but the show got really good when we were all given a notecard and pencil and told to right down our name, favorite color and a question we had. Then we had two students come up to the stage and help him blindfold himself. First he duct taped a silver dollar to his closed eyes. then we put a few more strips of duct tape across his eyes and then put on a blindfold. Then he had the two assistants collect our papers, put them in a pile and direct his hand to the pile so he could find it. Then he would randomly grab a piece of paper, crumple and and call out a name and ask whoever answered a few questions. I don't remember all of what happend but I do remember he was talking to one girl about how he believed she had asked a question about the girl sitting next to her. She said this was true and he said that the answer to her question was, "No, but 80 guys in this room wish she was." No one was sure what to say so the mentalist asked the girl to share her question. She had asked whether the girl next to her was a slut or not. After this he did a hypnosis trick. He called a girl up and had her sit on a chair. Then he put her to sleep. While she was asleep he told the audience he was going to give her a hallucination when she woke up and that she would see something impossible. He woke her up, gave her a sealed envelope to sit on then had her flip through a book until she decided to stop. He had her say the page number and any word that stood out to her on the page. When she was done he took the book back and told her that that page didn't exist. He had her open the book to the page she had been "reading" from and instead of the page was a line of torn paper from where the page had been torn out. He had her open the sealed envelope and inside was the torn out page with the word that had stood out to her circled. It was a really good show.
Tuesday:
Buisness Fair: Basically we just grabbed all the swag we could. I talked to the Air Force ROTC guys and grabbed stuff basically.
Vet Session: Like the meeting about studying abroad but for vet school. It was pretty interesting and I got some good information.
RSC: I bascially spent the whole time hanging out with some member of the girl's rugby team and passing balls with them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to join the team.
Target run: After a very long wait in line I got to Target and it was really cool! There was no one there but freshmen and people were bascially throwing free stuff at us. I got a bunch of snacks, mac and cheese, glasses cleaner/case and candy for free.
Wednesday:
The main (best) thing that happened today was the closing ceremonies for BGR. Not because it ended (boo.) but because of the speaker for the night. David Coleman. The Dating Doctor. His show was AMAZING. I can't even put into words how good he was. And it was really nice because he was super honest. He talked about bad boy vs. nice guy, long distance relationships, what girls/guys are attracted to, cologne, the friend zone and pick up lines to name a few. He was really funny but got the information across and let people ask lots of questions. It was just a really good talk.
Thursday:
This was basically my freak out day. It started out fine. I went to University Spirit to get some sunglasses and got some Purdue facepaint for game days, then I went to Follett's to pick up a book. I went to talk to my advisor about my chemistry issues and got a good game plan for that. I went back to Earhart for lunch and had a very frustrating phone conversation which sort of set the mood for the rest of the day. I'd been having some issued with my computer so my dad tried to help but he was stumped to I went to talk to the tech guys on campus but they said they didn't handle personal computer issues and directed me to a computer place on Chaucy. I decided to work on some stuff in one of the computer labs before heading over. I signed up for a Medieval History class so that my schedule fulfills the semester requirements in case I don't get into chemistry. Then I started the walk to Chaucy. Which isn't on the map of Purdue I was using since it's not a part of the campus. It was not a fun walk. I was tired, hot and frustrated. I got to Chaucy and followed the direction of the tech guys to the computer place. THey said it should be behind the Chase. There was a parking lot behind the Chase. I was really frustrated at this point. I walked past the JImmy Johns to where they said there was a second computer store and it looks like it had gone out of buiseness. More frustration. At this point I gave up, stopped at the Den to get a Den Pop, felt maginally better and started the long walk back to my dorm. My day got better when I ran into a couple girls from my floor on my way to dinner and hung out with them for basically the rest of the night. We had dinner together then went back to their room to watch old Star Trek. And while we were hanging out, one of the girls (Colleen) was trying out her new airbrush and drew a picture of me. It's really nice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment